Knitting and Crocheting
Knitting is not only a very relaxing hobby but one that gives you time to sit and converse with friends. Please join our Knitting group on the 1st Mondays of each month. We start at 1 p.m. and we are sure you will have a wonderful time.
Did you know?
- Knitting is a technique of producing fabric from a strand of yarn or thread. Unlike weaving, knitting does not require a loom nor other large equipment, making it a valuable technique for nomadic and non-agrarian peoples.
- The oldest artifact with a knitted appearance is a type of sock.
- The earliest known knitted items in Europe were made by Muslim knitters employed by Spanish Christian royal families.
- The first known purl stitches appear in the mid-16th century in Spain.
- Men were the first to knit for an occupation.
- Natural fibers such as alpaca, angora, merino (a breed of sheep), and cotton are used today along with more exoctic fibers such as silk, bamboo, and qiviut (an Intuit word indicating the wool of the musckox).
Contact Majorie McKay